The FNQLSDI held a two-day workshop on Impacts and Benefits Agreements (IBA) on February 21 and 22, 2018, in Quebec City.
The objective of these two days was to provide workshops and a networking opportunity for First Nations interested in Impact and Benefit Agreements (IBAs). These workshops combined roundtables featuring the participation of First Nations so that they could discuss various topics and practical advice provided by consultants or professionals who are specialized in IBAs.
Four panels were proposed:
- Preliminary evaluation of mining projects
- Business and economic opportunities
- Planning of mine development
- Issues and strategies for negotiating an agreement
- Feb 21: Panel 1: Yucef Larbi presentation (Cree Mineral Exploration Board)
- Feb 21: Panel 1: Jean-Marc Séguin map (Makivik Corporation)
- Feb 21: Presentation “Innovations in IBAs: Indigenous Environmental Governance and Beyond” (Rachel Speiran, John Glover and Alex Levi, Shared Values Solutions) Upon request
- Feb 21: Panel 2: André Benoît presentation (Ilnu Economic Development Society)
- Feb 21: Panel 2: Éric Barbieri presentation (Richter Groupe Conseil)
- Feb 22: Presentation “Financial issues of a collaboration agreement” (Éric Barbieri, Richter Groupe Conseil)
- Feb 22: Presentation “Ensuring the protection of culture and situating the rights of families within the context of IBAs” (Cécile Capela-Laborde, Hutchins Legal)