On October 30th & 31st and November 1st, 2018, the FNQLSDI is organizing a First Nations of Quebec Waste Management Symposium.
The event’s main objective is to provide tools and guidance to communities to facilitate the implementation of projects in waste management. It is also the opportunity for key members of waste management in First Nation communities to gather in order to share their point of view on current issues and on the realities that they face.
«Success stories» presentations, conferences and discussion workshops will be presented. A detailed agenda will be sent to you in the coming weeks.
The following major themes will be addressed:
- Waste Management: identifying environmental impacts
- Household Hazardous Waste management: why and how?
- Challenges and issues of implementing compost
- Understanding the recycling structure from A to Z
This year, an afternoon visit of infrastructure is planned to give participants the opportunity to explore various waste management infrastructure of First Nations communities and Quebec municipalities. Transportation by bus will be provided and the return is planned for around 5:00 pm at the Imperia hotel.
- Expenses claim
- Registration form
- October 30, 2018 – Warm up activity
- October 30, 2018 – Circuit Rider presentation – FNQLSDI
- October 30, 2018 – Environmental impacts and health risks of waste and landfills – Services aux Autochtones Canada
- October 30, 2018 – Best practices: Presentation of waste management developments – Odanak
- October 30, 2018 – Discussion workshops
- October 30, 2018 – Household hazardous waste management – Chamard
- October 30, 2018 – Best practices: Implementation of EPR progams in northern villages – Kativik Regional Governement
- October 30, 2018 – Best pratice Winneway
- October 30, 2018 – Waste management awareness campain; take inspiration from environmental education in indigenous communities – Coop Nitaskinan
- October 30, 2018 – Best practices: Pessamit ecopatrol initiative
- October 31, 2018 – Composting technologies and implementation steps RITMR Gaspesie
- October 31,2018 – Understanding Quebec recycling systeme – Recyc-Quebec
- October 31, 2018 – Sorting center challenges and realities -Tricentris
First Nations regional committee
The day of November 1st, 2018, will be allocated to the establishment of a waste management regional committee. The purpose of this committee is to ensure the active participation of First Nations of Quebec in the National Advisory Committee on Waste Management Initiative of Indigenous Services Canada. The committee will gather waste management stakeholders to make their voices heard on issues and challenges in their communities, to gain expertise and knowledge, to raise solutions and to secure their efforts by setting common goals.