The First Nations of Quebec and Labrador Sustainable Development Institute (FNQLSDI) held the First Nations of Quebec Waste Management Symposium on January 23 and 24, 2018, in Quebec City, ) which brought together more than 50 participants, members of 35 First Nations communities and organisations.
The event’s main objective was to offer the opportunity for key members of waste management in First Nation communities to gather in order to share their point of view on current issues and on the realities they face through presentations, conferences and discussion workshops.
This event had also allow participants to discuss their achievements and to gain additional knowledge on the existing provincial and federal waste management programs. The event was held over two days and covered the four following topics:
- Waste Management Administrative Aspects
- « Ecocentres » Management
- Infrastructure and Operations
A comprehensive report of the Symposium can be find HERE.
- Jan 23: Presentation of the Circuit Rider (IDDPNQL)
- Jan 23: Presentation of First Nations Waste Management Initiative (Anne Masson, AANC)
- Jan 23: Presentation of RECYC-QUÉBEC’ programs (Francis Vermette, Recyc-Québec)
- Jan 23: Presentation of the legal aspects on waste management agreements (Nicolas Fontaine, MAMOT)
- Jan 23: Presentation on ecocentre basics (IDDPNQL)
- Jan 23: Presentation of the extended Producer Responsibility Program (Dominique Potelle, Recyc-Québec)
- Jan 23: Best Practices presentation: Waste Management in Kahnawake (Holly McComber, Kahnawake)
- Jan 23: Best Practices presentation: TriComm Ecocentre of Matimekush Lac John and Kawawachikamach (Georges Roy, Matimekush Lac John)
- Jan 24: Presentation of the various composting methods (Yves Bernard, CRIQ)
- Jan 24: Best Practices presentation: Wôlinak composting project (Karine Richard, Wôlinak)
- Jan 24: Best Practices presentation: Experience of Mistissini on communication strategies (Pamela Macleod, Mistissini)
- Jan 24: Workshop: Ensuring an active participation of all stakeholders in waste management activities (IDDPNQL)
- Jan 24: Exchange of expertise, four discussion workshops